In This Post
We’ve partnered with Propel, the leading hospitality trade publication, to host a new webinar series where Propel Group Editor, Mark Wingett, talks to leading supply chain experts about the current challenges facing the sector, and how they are navigating them.
In the second video of our series, Mark speaks to Spencer Playle, Supply Chain Director at PizzaExpress, to discuss how the national pizza chain has responded to fragility in the supply chain, its changing relationship with its suppliers, its commitment to continuing to innovate and staying ahead of trends.
- Spencer reveals his thoughts on the three key challenges every supply chain professional is currently tackling, with these being the impacts of Covid-19, the complexities of Brexit, and the effects of the Ukraine war on commodities, fuel and utilities
- He details the importance of finding efficiencies across the supply chain whilst maintaining the menu quality, with sustainability also playing a key role in decision-making
- Spencer believes that technology can support hospitality businesses control their wastage, as well as monitor commodity prices and energy usage. Furthermore, suppliers should continue to invest in technology in order to improve their efficiency
- Moving forwards, “resilience is going to be absolutely key” for PizzaExpress and other businesses alike, with many having already shown their ability to bounce back from pandemic closures and deliver first class supply chains to their venues and customers
- Despite these challenges, PizzaExpress is continuing to invest in its estate and push its growth plans forward, with Spencer highlighting his optimism for the future
To hear more of Spencer’s insights, watch the full webinar here.
Make sure to catch up on the full ‘Facing up to Supply Chain Fragility’ webinar series now, featuring interviews with a range of sector experts including Stefan Porter, Purchasing and Supply Chain Director at The Azzurri Group; Graham Kirk, Executive Chef at Gusto Italian; David Ross, Chief Financial Officer at Stonegate; and Jane Bates, Director of Procurement and Sustainability at Parkdean Resorts.
You can also read our latest report to access key data on the cost increases in the sector, as well as details on how technology such as Fourth can help operators tackle these challenges. Visit our website to read the full report here.
Your subscription has been confirmed and you've been added to our newsletter list.